8.23.2009

14 miler

Yesterday was the BIG run, our 14 miler with celebration! Last year I missed it because I was in NH for my family reunion so I was thrilled to be around this year. We run more than the half marathon to prove we can do it - in mind, body, and soul! The weather definitely threatened to end the hopes of a good Saturday morning run but in the end the half marathon crew rain completely rain free, although the poor full marathoners, who ran 20 miles, started their run an hour early in DOWNPOURS!

I started my run with Tracey and Shannon, taking it nice and easy and running at a good training pace but as we reached the 6 miles mark they needed to slow down due to some aches and pains so I attempted to catch the next group ahead of us - Brett and Ann - who were BOOKING IT! My first mile with them was easily 2 minutes/mile faster than what I had been running. I slowed them down a bit, to which I think Ann was somewhat greatful! Overall I was pleased that I wasn't in much pain until my hip started in around mile 11. Mentally I was done, but I knew I couldn't stop running especially since I had friends waiting for me at the finish line! Everyone's families are invited to the 14 mile celebration/picnic and since I didn't have family locally I asked a few of my closest friends if they would be willing to be there. As we got closer to the park, I looked for them and that truly gave me the motivation to keep running and finish strong, despite the pain in my left hip. It was so awesome to have them there, along with Coach Amy, some old students and parents etc. I was also SO excited to see soda in the cooler when i finished. For some reason the last mile or two all I was craving was a real Coke and it was there for me when i was done! :o)

Some pretty cool accomplishments - My 14 mile training pace time to finish was 3:09 - I finished in 2:57! Last year I finished the 1/2 marathon in 3:09 - this year my half marathon time along the trail was 2:42!!! That's 27 minutes faster! My goal for race day was to finish in 2:45 - now I know I can do it so I'm just hoping all goes well in VA Beach and I can come in around the same time. I was pretty sore after the run - mainly my hips but after some stretching I felt pretty good. Even waking up today - no blisters, no knee pain, no hip pain! WooHoo!!!

Now all I need to do is eat well, keep up my maintenence runs, hydrate and get ready for VA Beach in 2 weeks - this time exactly 2 weeks from today I will be 2/3rds done with my first half marathon of the season!

I'll leave you with some pictures of the 14 mile training run - post party!




No comments: